Tiesenhausen family originates from Tiesenhusen, situated in Northern Germany
between Nienburg and Holtorf in the lower Weser region(“Unterweser”). They were
knights of the counts Wölpe. The Tiesenhausen first mentioned is Engelbertus de
Tysenhusen, who sailed together Albert von Buxhövede to Livland (today Latvia).
Buxhövede was not only Engelbertus brother in law but also later became the
first bishop of Riga. There, the family soon rose to influence and prosperity,
not least through the policy that only allowed the sale of land within the
In 1375, the brothers Johann and Bartholomäus v.Tiesenhausen,
were given the heritable title "Haus- und Tafelgenossen des Kaisers des
Heiligen Römischen Reiches Deutscher Nationen". In 1654, the General Major
Hans Heinrich v. Tiesenhausen was made a Freiherr zu Erlaa.
Berend Heinrich v. Tiesenhausen, Russian
Minister and Chairman of the Estonian Knighthood, was made a "Reichsgraf" in
1759. 1854, the Russian Tsar also acknowledged the title Baron.
Freiherrn and Barone Tiesenhausen are today combined in a family association.
Neue Schönhauser Allee 6
Bernd Baron v.Tiesenhausen
Osterholder Allee 35
Helfer Straße 22
Sabine Röder, geb,Freiin
updated : 10/31/01